Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Our visit with Sutton

Ok, I know I said that I would not blog again until after the court date, but since I am using the blog as a journal for the boys, I had to jot down the amazing visit we had with Sutton today. Prior to going to the orphanage, Bryan and I were sitting in the apartment and trying to brush up on our Russian. We have some play animals and we wanted to know the Russian names for the animals – such as “Karova” for cow and “loshat” for horse. We entered the orphanage to see Sawyer first. We were told that he was having an ultrasound – this is something that is standard for every child in the orphanage every 90 days. It was just his turn. We were supposed to see him eat – but he would not be back in time to eat until 7pm. Since we had a meeting with our court advocate at 6:30, we would not get to see him. So, we went to Sutton’s orphanage. Bryan and I were excited and apprehensive. We have deemed Sutton our sensitive child who is super shy. We both were on pins and needles because we did not know how he would accept us after this long break. We opened the door to his room and he just stared at us. One of the other boys in the room was standing behind Sutton and he gave him a gentle push as to say, “hey, that’s your mama and papa”. Roman then came toward us. I dropped to my knees and he came up and hugged me. I immediately burst into tears. I must have hugged him for a full minute just sobbing. He let me hug him. Then I let him go and told him to go to Papa – he did and Bryan almost lost it as well. Of course, I am writing this now in tears because it was so emotional. We went into the “locker room” to play. It was too cold and windy outside – and we were in the locker room area because the entire orphanage is being moved to join another orphanage. They are taking Sutton’s orphanage and making it a preschool. They had huge duffle bags of clothes and toys ready to go. We started out playing with the farm animals. Sutton immediately went for the horse. He was interested in the bull and dairy cow, but only for a moment because he saw another horse. He really seemed to love the horses. Of course, Bryan and I were so proud of ourselves because we knew the names of these animals. We played with those animals for a while and then went to the cars. Then it was time for the ball – I am telling you that I believe we have an athlete on our hands. I could tell that Sutton was feeling good about himself because he began showing off. He decided first to show us that he could climb into the window nook and jump off without our help. Tah Dah!! Then he decided to show us how he could cartwheel, as well as other tricks. I believe he may be a daredevil once he has warmed up. I am a bit worried that I have a few nephews that would be more than happy to show him some “moves” and he will emulate them. He was so funny – he emulated everything that Bryan did. At one point, he climbed the window to jump and Bryan caught him and lifted him over his head. I could tell that Sutton was a bit worried at first – and then he thought it was great.
At 5pm, we were told that it was time to go. We had our interpreter tell him that we had to see a lady and that as soon as we finished with her that we would come back and get him forever. He seemed sad that we were done, but he understood. I hugged him goodbye and so did Bryan – then he went into his class. At that time, we were told we could have one more hour with him – so we took advantage of it. We played some more. At 6pm, it was time for dinner. We said our goodbyes again and then watched him eat. It was amazing. There were 8 kids – all sitting at their tables. All were using a table spoons. No one was allowed to eat with their fingers unless they were eating bread. Sutton immediately took a huge bite of bread. Then as he was chewing, he used his spoon to cut his pork patty – all by himself. He needed no help at all. He was all about the eating – so we were happy about that. He still had a rash on his face. Last time we were told that it was the heat. This time we were told that he was allergic to the juice- however, they served him juice with his meal???? Oh well, it doesn’t matter - he was a happy boy and that is all that mattered.
Tomorrow is the court date. We have drawn the man judge. Because of that, I will do the majority of the talking – Bryan is happy about that. I think I can handle it – but we have heard that the prosecutor (for the child) is a real tough cookie. Our interpreter told us not to worry because we have more experience than anyone when it comes to children – Who can argue with the principal of an elementary school???? I hope they are correct. I will blog tomorrow and hopefully the title will reflect that our boys are ours and in our care. We will see. Say a prayer for us tomorrow – court time is 11:30 am – so this is 7:30 pm Texas time. I don’t know when we will be able to get on the internet, but as soon as we can, we will.