Sunday, September 21, 2008

Alive and Well in Khabarovsk

Well, we are here - it took some time and we had a few technical difficulties, but we are here. We left Detroit on time and took the 12.5 hour flight to Tokyo - I was really hurting after that flight - it was very full - no room to stretch out - cramped seating!!!! Then we had about 45 minutes layover in Tokyo before we boarded the plane to Seoul. That flight was only 2.5 hours and even though it was full and Bryan and I were separated, I was able to sleep. We arrived in Seoul around 9pm (I believe 5:30am Texas time). We were on our way to the hotel shuttle when we met up with another couple who is adopting - they are on trip 1, but they adopted from this region about 3 years ago - so they are pro's at this. We got to Seoul and just fell into bed. Around 4am Seoul time, Bryan and I were wide awake. We made ourselves stay in bed, catnapping, until 8am. Then got up, went to breakfast, back to the hotel, and then on to another shuttle to the airport at 11:30 am. We had to pay extra because my bags were too heavy (Yes, Bryan was right - and this is my public apology)!! He was a trouper - paid the fee (after going and exchanging money to Korean Won - then paying the fee at another booth - only then to rejoin our group). We met up with the other couple who we traveled with last trip. They are adopting two older boys and their Gotcha date is the same as ours. The airline that goes from Seoul to Khabarovsk went bankrupt, but we were able to get picked up by another airline - and it was probably the worst plane I have ridden on in a long time. But, we got to Khabarovsk around 6pm (Khabarovsk time), got unpacked, ate dinner, and fell asleep. They have a new internet service at the hotel, so we purchased a card and realized that it is not a good idea to type in your information in Russian - especially since we do not know any Russian - and the alphabet characters are very different. So, we chalked that $5 up to experience, and purchased a few more cards today and did it correctly.

We had to go to the doctors today - same old procedure as last time. Spend money just so someone can stamp the form and say that we are sane, in good health, and do not use drugs. After 3 doctors, we were told that we would finish with the other 6 doctors tomorrow (because it was too crowded today). So, we get to go visit one of the boys this evening. We don't know which one, but at least we get to see one of them today. Then tomorrow, we finish with doctors and hopefully see the other child. Then Wednesday is the court date (Gotcha date). We don't know if we have a morning or afternoon appointment. If we have a morning appointment, we may get to have the boys with us by the afternoon. The court is very fickle, so we are not going to expect anything until it happens.

I think we are doing well - the jet lag has not been too bad - I think we are close to being on schedule. I will blog tonight once we get back from the orphanage and let you know if we got to see Sutton or Sawyer and how he was doing. It is 10:00 pm Texas time (I think) - so I will blog again around 4am Texas time.
Love to all!!!