Sunday, October 5, 2008

Our Walking Trip to Church

We decided to venture a bit further from the apartment yesterday and go to the Church. It is beautiful from the top of the apartments, and we wanted to see it up close and personal - so we donned our coats and hats, and off we went. It seems no matter where you go from our apartment, everything is up hill. So we walked up hills and down hills, and finally ended up at the church. It is breathtaking. I have seen beautiful churches before, but this one was the best ever. I am working on a power point of some of our walking tours, so I hope that I can get it to post very soon. Anyway, we missed the mass that went on - but the church was open. I decided to go in. It is very hard to describe, because no matter how I describe it, there are no words to let you know the beauty and care taken with this building. The outside is made marble - then you get to the bell towers (that are still rung by hand - we actually saw the priest doing it as we left)- then the golden temple tops. The inside was equally beautiful - It was full of Roman Orthodox pictures of Christ and of the Virgin Mary. People were coming in to pray and light candles. You are not allowed to take pictures in the inside, but I will just say that it is definitely a place for reverence. I know that the building is not about praising God, but in a place where there are few churches and such economic decline, it is nice to see a beautiful, well-kept symbol that the Christian faith is still present in so many.

We went to get passport photos of the boys today. I put on their best clothes (really one of the very few that fit) and off we went to get their pictures. The boys did well, and they thought they were special in their great outfits. We hope to go to the store today for a bit of shopping (maybe an outfit or two for the boys - and maybe some souvenirs as well. We will see - most of our trips to the store have been races as there are many families here that need to go back and forth to see their children because they were not as lucky as us to have their children with them the entire 10 day waiting period. So, we try not to ask for too much so that other families can have their time with their children.

Other than that, we are doing well. Sawyer has been cranky again. I don't know if he is not feeling well due to congestion or if it is because he is cutting his two side teeth (I believe they are the incisors?). Anyway, they look like little fangs coming in and I know they have to be bothering him. But, we just keep trucking and counting down the days until we can leave and go to Moscow. We got a razzing email from Uncle Jimmy today - something about the Sooners - and I think he may be counting his chicks before they hatch!!! Heard from Mimi and Claire as well. Everyone seems to be doing well! God Bless!