Saturday, October 4, 2008

Our Attempts at Learning English

Each day, we spend a bit of time with a picture book to learn English. We have been surprised that Sutton loves to do this. Whenever he wants some lap time, he will pick up the book and bring it to myself or Bryan. He then will look at the pictures, and he has memorized some of the pictures. Things such as eyes, nose, mouth, hand, ball, kitty, puppy, banana, apple, etc. He loves doing this and is getting better each day. His Russian accent comes through and so it is not really clear, but each day becomes clearer and clearer. He has even learned to say 'please' when he wants more to drink or eat. Yesterday, he said please without being prompted and Bryan and I just took a sigh of relief that all of our hard work and prompting is paying off.

It is amazing that even Sawyer is picking up some of the words - although he only mimicks right now. He really is not interested in lap time or the book (because he can't sit that long) - he just wants the same attention as brother. If he does not get the attention immediately, he will go over to a plug or lamp that he knows he should not touch and look at us with his finger sticking out like he is going to touch it. Then Bryan or I (or both of us) say "No, No, No" - he smiles, and usually goes along his way because he has been able to draw our attention away from brother. If it is not enough attention, he will take that little finger and just barely touch the No No item so that we will get up out of the chair. Then he laughs and runs off.

The boys seem to be playing a bit more together, but Sutton tends to get a bit too physical. I don't think he understands that his little brother does not have that kind of strength. So, usually they play a while and then Sawyer begins to cry because Sutton has pushed him too hard. I guess it is just typical of 2 brothers. I laugh when I think of the Russian word for brother - it is "brat". And, yes, I am sure that is exactly what Sutton thinks of his little brother.

I marked another day off the calendar - which brings us one day closer to home. We got a wonderful email from Connie R. Thank you family for sharing the pictures with everyone. Connie's email was an inspiration about 'unanswered prayers' - and we agree. We never would have thought that 10 years ago this would be God's plan for us - we asked for different things - but all the while, God knew what he had in store for us. We are so glad for that unanswered prayer that has brought us to this place in life.

Here is hoping all is well back home and with all of our friends. Love to all!!!!