I had promised to discuss the homestudy, because believe it or not..... we were very nervous - for no reason. It sounds crazy, but my husband and I love Halloween. We don't usually hand out candy. Instead, we watch all the little kids in the neighborhoods around us and then go out to eat. I think we are both just big kids at heart ourselves. Anyway, this Halloween was a bit different. Bryan and I both left work early that day so that we could meet our adoption counselor (AC) at our home around 2pm. We both got here ahead of time (not normal for us), and paced until AC called and said she was lost. After giving better directions, she drove up a short while later. She immediately put us at ease. We toured the house and yard, and sat down to talk. It was amazing. I actually felt like the 5th wheel after a while. AC and Bryan hit it off. Bryan has a pretty interesting hobby working with cattle, artificial insemination, embryo transfer, etc., so he kept her entertained for quite a while. My hobbies are not quite as exciting as Bryan's.
I think it takes something like a homestudy to realize how in tune you and your partner are.... It was so affirming that we were so in tune with what our wants and desires are when it comes to having a child. I don't believe we were actually prepared for the questions asked, but it did not seem to be a problem because our answers were exactly the same. We actually had a funny moment when AC asked how our family would react to news of an adoption from Russia. Bryan and I looked at each other and told AC that our family had no idea. I am not sure that this is a typical response, but it was our response. We told AC that our families have known that we were dedicated to having a family but that we needed to make those decisions on our time. When we made the decision to adopt, we just decided to get the ball rolling before telling everyone else. I think when you have dealt with infertility for so long, you almost don't want to say anything until you are sure that the process is rolling. We told AC that we were going to have a grand announcement soon - Bryan is the King of big announcements.
I blog about our homestudy because we were so nervous...... and it was really for no reason. It was actually so affirming that Bryan and I were in sync about our decision. I would be remiss if I did not tell everyone that Bryan did almost hyperventilate after AC left. It was all due to one question, "Would you be interested in more than one child, like a sibling pair?" I immediately answered, "Yes" for both of us. Bryan just nodded and AC went on to another question. After AC left, Bryan later told me that he did not know how he would feel about instant fatherhood of 2 children. Within a week, the thought had time to sink in.......and Bryan is now more than ready if God blesses us with a sibling pair.