We have been home 2 weeks today and I finally feel as if we are making progress. It has been a rewarding but tiring experience, and I wouldn't have traded it for the world. We have been working hard for the past 2 weeks on getting the boys to play together and SHARE! I don't know if it is post orphanage behavior, but Sutton believes that everything is his - he often says, "Eta Mia" - this is mine (at least that is what I believe it to me). When Sawyer finds something to play with, Sutton will just go up and take it away from him. When corrected, this has led to some long crying bouts and fits. About 4 days ago, we turned a major corner. In the car, each boy had a musical toy. Sutton wanted Sawyer's toy. Instead of reaching over and trying to take it, he was bargaining and trying to reach a trade agreement. He was successful - and all was good until the toy suddenly fell and Momma couldn't get it because she was driving - so we cried for the last 10 minutes of the trip.
This past weekend, we went to a school carnival, a youth prospect stockshow, and a cattle sale. We only spent about an hour at each place, but the boys did well. We were not sure how they would react in a crowd of people who they did not know - they did fine. Sawyer is quite the charmer. He will wave at people (even strangers). Yesterday, we went to Dairy Queen for our first ice cream cone (soft serve). Sawyer kept waving at the firemen who were there for lunch. They just kept laughing. We also had a visit from Uncle Jimmy, Aunt Lillie, and cousin Stockton. This was a great visit. Lillie helped me understand that the phrase "terrible two's" is incorrect. It really is the terrible threes! This I understand! Stockton and the boys had so much fun feeding the cattle and fishing. But the best times were playing together in the yard. They did so well together and it was nice for the boys to play with someone that is similar in age to them. The day after our company left, the boys played together for a good hour in their room without any screaming, punching, or crying. PROGRESS!!!!
Yesterday, we poured some concrete for a sidewalk and to replace a strip that was cut out when the house was renovated. The boys loved watching the cement truck. Later, they put their foot and hand print in the cement. I let them play in the warm water that I had poured for them to rinse off in - Sutton began telling me that he was making sopa (soup). He put in a little dirt and a lot of grass. He let Sawyer help. They played together nicely while making the soup. At one point, Sutton broke his stirring stick in half so that his brother would have a stick to stir the soup as well. I know this sounds "over the top", but I have been worried about them in daycare and sharing with others when we know there is a language barrier - but, this is giving me some hope!!!
We have been working on our English. I have picture flash cards that Sawyer and I use each night. He is repeating some of the words like apple, car, ball, etc. Sutton is speaking spontaneously. Every once in a while, he will just blurt out an English word while talking - we are amazed. We have been trying to get them to sing the Happy Birthday song - they have not done so yet, but enjoy Bryan and I singing to them. They do join in on our snack song, "I like to eat, I like to eat, I like to eat, eat, eat, eat, apples and bananas" - they scream out the last two or three words and laugh.
Today is Halloween. We are going to the school to visit the daycare and visit the students for their dance. Then we will leave around 4pm to come back home. We will pick up a pizza and share it with cousin Seth - and then we will be off to trick-or-treat with Seth. Seth is going as Spiderman. Sutton has a Spiderman costume, but he may be a cow. I know, it sounds lame, but Aunt Lillie brought us a horse costume that fits Sawyer and it is soooo cute. I have a Spiderman costume for him as well. So, we will either be farm animals, or there will be three Spidermen out tonight.
I have posted two more pictures of the boys - I hope everyone enjoys! We are doing well and will be having a welcome home party on Nov 8 from 3-7. It is mostly by word of mouth, so if you are following this blog, this is your formal invitation. Just call us at the house if you are coming so we can make enough BBQ! We would love to see everyone~