Sunday, June 15, 2008

We Are Here!!

After an endless flight (actually, flight after flight after flight), we finally ended up in Khabarovsk. We left the house at 4:30 am to catch our first flight out of San Antonio. Then ended up in Chicago with a 8 hour layover. So, we decided to leave the airport in Chicago and go to the Sears Tower to waste some time. If you don't know, Chicago is one of my favorite cities - so taking some time to tour was nice. Then it was back to O'Hare to catch our flight to Moscow. That flight left Chicago around 6pm and we got in to Moscow at 10:30 am. The flight was long - as I believe Moscow is 6 hours ahead of Chicago. Bryan did not sleep the entire time - and there was plenty of room to sleep. Instead, he watched 4 movies. I decided to take advantage of the time to sleep, and I slept on and off the entire time. We arrived in Moscow and immediately after stepping off the plane, I knew we were in a place where baths and laundry are not a priority. It took some getting used to ....... We decided to stay put in the airport because we did not want to venture into a part of the airport that might get us in trouble. After 3 hours later, another couple that was traveling to the same city (Khabarovsk) to adopt came up to us and asked us if we were the "other couple" that was traveling for adoption. We said yes, and then spent some time getting to know them. They took us upstairs to an Italian restaurant where Bryan and I shared a really good ham and cheese pizza (but nothing rivals the Chicago "special" calzone - that we did also have when we were in Chicago). After lunch, we went back downstairs and met someone from the agency. She was there just to ensure that we were able to manuever through the airport and catch our domestic flight to Khabarovsk.

Then it 8 hours on the plane from Moscow to Khabarovsk - we arrived in Khabarovsk at 9:30 am on Sunday, June 14. Bryan finally slept a bit on this flight - of course, I had no trouble sleeping on this flight either - I can sleep anywhere!

Once arriving, we were met by the Khabarovsk people from the agency. They took us to exchange money (but it was a holiday yesterday and today). So, they "knew someone" who could exchange money. We drove up to a building, another car came by and honked. Our driver got out of the car, went to sit in the other person's car, then came back out a few minutes later with money exchanged. It sounded shady, but the exchange rate wasn't that bad - it just looked like a drug deal in Mexico - Bryan and I just laughed it off - Hey, we needed money and the banks were closed!!!

Then it was back to the hotel (which is not bad). We were then told that they would come back around 3pm to pick us up to take us to a supermarket for a few items, and then off to see one of the boys....WHAT? We were so surprised. They actually allowed us to go see one of the boys today..... We quickly showered and then packed a small bag with some toys. Then it was off to meet Sawyer. We will meet Sutton tomorrow as the boys are at two different orphanages.

When we went to the home, we were surprised. There were several outside playgrounds and the inside of the building was very clean and well supervised. Sawyer was brought to us and the agency representative helped to break the ice. Sawyer sat on her lap for a short time while she talked Russian to him. I took out the musical toy and began playing it. Sawyer immediately took it and it didn't take long for him to understand that if he pushed it's tummy, it would keep playing. He loved it. He held it tight and hugged it. Bryan took out bubbles and it took a while for Sawyer to understand what the bubbles were. After a few minutes, Sawyer was easily transfered to me. He sat on my lap, we played the music toy - and then we decided to go outside. He had to wear a cap, so we put it on and then I carried him outside. We realized quickly that he LOVED to swing. He also warmed up to the bubbles when Bryan tried to catch the bubbles in his mouth. He giggled as Bryan swallowed the bubbles. The next big hit was Fruit Loops. I gave Sawyer a fruit loop and before I knew it, his hand was in the fruit loops grabbing for more. I had to limit the fruit loops because he just wanted to stuff one in right after another. When I put the lid on the fruit loops, he just kept tapping the outside of the container letting me know that he saw that there was more in there. We had a great time. We were so busy that we did not get much video.

Sawyer was in diapers, and I don't think he is potty trained yet. After about 30 minutes, he began babbling and spoke a few words (at least I think they were words). An hour later, they called for us to bring him back inside. We were allowed in the baby play room where they were 3 caregivers and 5 children. The caregiver said that Sawyer is very active and very articulate with the other kids. Sawyer would not immediately let go of me and go to the caregiver. He finally did, and then we said our goodbyes. He waved bye, and then I blew him kisses. He thought that was funny so we extended the goodbye a bit longer.

It was a great day. I don't have to worry about the 24 month old clothes being too big. Sawyer is small for his age, but he seems to have good motor skills. He is just little. He has a bit of a chest cold so his chest was rattling at bit, but no runny nose.

Tomorrow, we get picked up at 9 am to go to the doctors. We have our physicals - and that might take most of the morning. We will see Sutton in the afternoon. I hope it goes as well as today did with Sawyer. We will continue to try to blog each day, but I don't know if we will be able to do so or not.

Love to all of you. Keep praying. Today was one part of the answers to our prayers.