I apologize in advance that this blog is so long - there is so much to say.....
It was a very weird day for me today. I was looking forward to getting home – it is just hard living out of a suitcase! But, I was also dreading leaving the boys. I have heard from others who have adopted from Russia that leaving your child/children between the 2 visits is one of the hardest things you can do. I remember reading it and thinking that they were probably right, but I would be fine with it all. Wow, was I wrong. I was an emotional wreck before we even left the apartment to see the boys.
We left around noon to get our paperwork notarized. These are the papers that formally state that we are in agreement to adopt the boys. The paperwork was not correct, so they had to redo the form in the notary’s office. The notary was in typical Russian fashion: no smile, all business. We signed off on the paperwork and were then off to the orphanage where Sawyer resides. When we opened the door to his room, he immediately held out his hand to me and had a huge smile. The caregiver told him to hurry up and get on a diaper and better clothes so he could go with us. He quickly went into the backroom and returned ready to go. It was so hot outside yesterday, that I wanted to make sure that he did not get overheated today. YES! It is very hot here – at least 95 degrees or higher ( I am not sure because it is in Celsius not Fahrenheit). Anyway, we went into a small meeting room and the true Sawyer was revealed. Once again, he was more interested in taking everything out of the bag, and then putting it all back in the bag. He climbed on everything. He loved climbing on the back of the couch and trying to hang over the edge looking downward. He was into everything! When offered a fruit loop, he took a fistful and stuffed them all in his mouth. I had to get them all out because I was afraid he would choke on them. From then on, Momma had to open the bowl and he only got one at a time – much to his disliking. Sawyer played a bit more with Bryan today and loved it when Papa picked him up real high and blew on his stomach. He is still too young to understand our comings and goings, and to take real interest in the picture book, but we left the picture book, ducky, and ducky blanket with the caregivers. I gave him kisses and a big hug when we left. He kept grabbing Bryan’s finger and pulling him to the door – I think he wanted Bryan to himself to play with instead of in the room with the other kids. I only shed a small tear as we left.
We then went to a pizza place for lunch – Russian pizza is not bad. They had a spicy pepperoni that would rival most of our pizzas in Texas. When they said spicy, they really mean that it had a kick to it. We loved it. Then it was off to visit Sutton.
When we arrived, they brought Sutton to us in the play room. He was not a happy child. He was quiet and withdrawn. The caregiver stated that they were taking pictures and he did not understand why he had to get all dressed up and then they wanted him to pose here and there – it was not his thing because he is painfully shy. When he came in, he would not look at us. He was intent on making sure we knew that he was sad. After trying to talk to him and play, we decided to get him in the element that is most comfortable to him – outside. We got outside and Bryan tried everything he could to get him to play. Finally, I kneeled behind him and took his arms. Bryan bounced the ball to him and I caught the ball using his arms. We then threw it back to Bryan. This went on for a few minutes until Sutton decided that he could throw the ball better if I would just leave him alone and get out of the way. All of a sudden, our boy was back. Bryan felt a wave of relief – he just said, “There is my boy, finally.” After that, Bryan and Sutton threw the ball, kicked the ball, chased the ball, etc. This went on for at least a full hour. It was hot outside, but we were in the shade. It was so funny to see Sutton emulate everything that Bryan did. I offered Sutton water. He did not respond. Bryan came over, drank from the water bottle and then offered it to Sutton. He immediately drank the water. Then he gave Bryan a big smile. This went on and on. By the time we went inside, Sutton was happy and filthy. Bryan was as well. We went into the playroom and Sutton let us wash him up. Bryan took out our picture book and went through our pictures again. We gave him a stuffed horse – and a ball. He and Bryan played with the stuffed horse and ball. Then it was time to explain what was going to happen. The translator told Roman that when the leaves on the trees turn orange and yellow, Mamma and Papa would be back. When we came back, we would take him away with us forever to our home. He would be able to keep the horse, ball, blanket, and picture book with him so he could remember us until we came back. Sutton hugged his horse and ball and we walked to his room. Once in the room, we told him goodbye. The caregiver told us that Sutton cried this morning because he was waiting for us. She said that he does not understand why we come and go, but he does not go with us. After hearing that, I just started crying. That was the absolute last thing that I needed to hear. Goodbye is hard enough without that bit of information!!! Anyway, I hugged him (and he let me) and gave him a kiss. Bryan hugged him and kissed him – and then we left. By the time we got back to the apartment, I was in need of aspirin and a real Coke (caffeine always helps). Of course, the hotel was out of Cokes!!!!
We leave the apartment/hotel at 8:15 am to go to the Khabarovsk airport. Our plane leaves around 10am. I believe the plane ride is 7 hours, however we arrive in Moscow before noon. Then we catch a plane from Moscow at 2:40pm to Chicago, arriving in Chicago at 4:30 pm. Although it seems like short trips, it is not. The time changes are crazy and there is a 7 hours difference between Khabarovsk and Moscow, and then there is 9 hours difference between Moscow and Chicago (Russia is ahead of the US in time). We plan on sleeping A LOT on the plane. We have a busy day on Friday in Texas. We want to get our fingerprints and FBI clearances done ASAP so we can get the courts moving on a court date so we can bring our boys home. More later about Russia in general – we are tired and need to get some dinner and get some sleep. Love to all. Say a prayer that Sutton understood some of what was said to him today and he understands that we will be back very soon to get him.