Friday, May 30th will be a day not soon forgotten. First, it was Bryan's 40th birthday. Second, it was the last day of school. But best of all, we finally received a referral for our boys - yes, BOYS! I must tell you all how it took place because it is typical Bryan Grandstand Style.
About 10am, I received a message from the office that my local adoption agency counselor had called and left me a message to call her back - It was marked "important." Instead of thinking of the positive, I immediately dreaded making the call. It was our local agency - they wouldn't be giving us a referral - so that means only one thing..... more paperwork that must be redone.
I called Nicole from our agency. She told me that all of our paperwork was in Russia, and it was 100% complete and ready to go. I thought it was a wierd call, but ???? About 30 minutes later, I was rushing through my paperwork and emails when someone tapped me on my shoulder. It was Bryan. He had two roses in his hand. I said, "What are you doing with flowers? I should be buying you flowers because it is your birthday." Bryan just looked at me and said, "I brought you two roses, one for each of our boys." I asked, "What boys?" (At this time, I really was not thinking of adoption - I don't know what I was thinking). Bryan said, "We received our referral today." I think I was dumbfounded. The first thing that came out of my mouth was, "Please do not play with me today - today is not the day - it has been crazy around here with the last day of school." Bryan did not respond. I stood up, pushed up his dark sunglasses, and looked into his red, watery eyes. I just about fainted. Bryan told me to check my email - that pictures of the boys were being sent as we speak. I checked email - there was nothing there. He said, just be patient and wait for it. A few seconds later, I heard the "ding". I clicked on, and there were our two boys.
Please understand that while this was going on, I had about 10 teachers outside my door waiting to be seen so I could sign off on their check-out sheet. My secretary new that something was up, because she was standing guard and telling teachers that it was not a good time, and they needed to move on and come back at the end of school. Teachers were not real happy......but, oh well. Once they found out the news, all was forgiven.
The story gets better - so hang with me a bit longer. Bryan called my cousin, Scott, and his wife Jodi. They are doctors - they reviewed the little bit of medical information that we received. I can't tell you what a weight it was to have a family member review the information, give us questions to ask, and do it all as a relative, friend, and doctor. Wow! I am still blown away by those two!
After talking with Scott and Jodi, we decided to tell our mothers - together. Jetty (Bryan's mother) was down for his birthday. We made up an excuse to run to mom's house and told Jetty to get in the car, and HURRY. Once we got to mom's house, mom went inside to get Bryan's birthday card. We followed her inside and drug Jetty with us. At that time, we handed Jetty one boy's picture and Jeanette the other boy's picture. We said, "Meet your new grandsons". It took a minute to hear the plural, but to say the least, there were tears, laughs, prayers, and more tears.
We are so ecstatic that we do not know what to do with ourselves. This has been one of the happiest weekends of our lives.