Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Vacation

Somehow, I finally made it to Hawaii - after sleeping in the LAX airport on a nasty bench like a bum - but, I made it. I do have a community service announcement for anyone interested : DO NOT FLY CONTINENTAL AIRLINES. Talk about rude! On the morning of our flight (5:45 am), I waited patiently for someone to come to the front area so that I could ask a few questions about my connecting flights. At 5:15 (boarding time - according to the ticket), someone came to the front and I could tell she was very busy printing information and trying to get set up. At 5:25, I went forward and asked her if I might be able to ask her about my connecting flight because I could see that she was very busy. She stated that she could not answer any questions because she had to get the reports run for the plane. At 5:30, they called to board the plane - I boarded, but the entire group of flight attendants were grumpy - I just chalked it up to the morning first-flight blues. We arrived in Houston, and I was glad to see that I stepped off one plane and got in line for the second plane within minutes. We boarded about 30 minutes prior to expected take-off. An hour later, our captain let us know that we were leaking fuel and they were trying to figure out why. 45 minutes after sitting on the tarmac, he announced that we would be on our way - we had a delay because someone did not screw the panel on correctly after filling us up with fuel. I asked an attendant if I would be able to make my connection in LAX - if they would hold my plane, etc..... She stated in a ugly, dont-bother-me-with-your-complaint-attitude, that I should not worry - We would make our connections. I tried to explain that we were 50 minutes late and I only had 30 minutes inbetween flights (not my choice, but Continental set these tickets up for me when I knew that I would be in Russia on my original depart day). She did not even look at my tickets - she cut me off before I could explain. Anyway, we arrived in LAX and I immediately went to the ticket counter (which was one gate down from where I arrived). I asked about my connecting flight. I was told that it left 10 minutes ago. She stated that I would be placed on the next flight to Hawaii - TOMORROW. I nearly had a breakdown!!! After flying for 30 hours to Russia and back and then turning around to fly to Hawaii, I was exhausted. I began to rant (nicely) and told them that there was no way that I was going to stay in LAX overnight - they had booked these flights - I had asked several times about my connections - I was disregarded each time - and I had to be in Hawaii today- no exceptions. I got nowhere. Then I had to pull a lie out of my hat. I did my best hysterical impersonation - It worked. They called every airline in LAX that goes to Hawaii - all of them were booked solid, except one. Hawaiian airlines had ONE seat left. I took it. I ran over to Hawaiian airlines, and it was like a breath of fresh air. The people were so helpful. They got me settled - asked if there was anything they could do to help me since my flight was 7 hours later, etc. Are you kidding me? Anything they could do???? It was then that I realized that Hawaiian air got it right - Continental does not. To finish it off, I slept for 4 hours on a bench outside of my flight - I sure it looked pretty, but ???? The rest of the day and flight, I had nothing but wonderful service by happy, smiling people. Then I arrived in Hawaii and went to the Continental luggage claim office to see if they had my luggage. I was told my Continental that I could not get my bag (when I changed flights) because it had PROBABLY already been sent - they wouldn't even look to make sure. So, I had another horrible experience with them. The woman (at 11:00 at night) was rude. I tried to explain that I had switched planes do to a mechanical problem on Continental that made me miss my connection - She cut me off 3 times while I tried to explain. I had enough. I let her finish speaking and then I told her that I did not think we were communicating very well, so I would only answer her questions because she obviously did not want to hear my story. She looked a bit shocked, then asked me a few questions. She filled out a missing baggage form (on paper - not computer) and told me that someone would input it in the computer in the morning and they would find my bag - it was probably in LAX. When I explained that morning in Hawaii would be noon in LAX (and the only flight out of LAX to Hawaii on Continental was at 9am, she said that they would figure it out). Oh really???? Anyway, I hopped a cab to the hotel. Halfway to the hotel, Hawaiian airlines called me. They stated that they had my luggage and that it had come to them early in the day, but they new my flight would not get in until late, so they were holding it for me. The next day I picked up my bag from Hawaiian and asked how there were able to get the bag (as the tags were all from Continental). They stated that when I changed my flight, the Hawaiian airlines kiosk person personally called and had my bag placed on any flight they could find going to Hawaii so that I would have my bag when I arrived. It went on an earlier flight that was completely booked. Amazing that they could do that but Continental couldn't!!!

Anyway, I thought it was funny that I flew American Airlines, Aeroflight, Daliva, Continental, and Hawaaian air all within a week. I never had a problem or ugly attendants on any of these except Continental - and it was several Continental people, not just one event. Moral of the story - stay away from Continental. There is no way that I will use that service again - and especially not to or from Russia to get the boys!!!

Now to the boys - we have a bit more paperwork that we are waiting on from the agency. As soon as we get that, we will fill it out. Then we have to get our fingerprinting back from the FBI. As soon as that is done, we will be able to file it for a court date. I hope it will be very soon. I will keep everyone posted. There is 11 hours difference between Hawaii and Khabarovsk (at least I think there is) - so it is 5am here (I know, I couldn't sleep), which means it is 4pm there - play time outside. I hope they are both having a wonderful time playing with their friends on the playground. I can see Sutton playing futbol and Sawyer finding a stick that he can bang around. We say a prayer each night that they know we are coming for them as soon as possible.
Love to all!