You knew it was only a matter of time - and yes, it finally happened. Bryan and I were so excited to attend Sutton's first T-Ball practice (Sutton had been waiting for this day to come since we first discussed playing in January). So, there we were enjoying our oldest son's antics on the field. He was adorable. At one point, he was thrown the ball and he actually caught it in his glove. He was so excited. He ran up to me and said, "Momma, Momma, I catch it! I catch it!" It was something I will never forget. As we were both excited about watching everything Sutton was doing, Sawyer was having fun of his own. He is in the NO FEAR, I CAN CLIMB ANYTHING stage - So, Sawyer was tackling the stadium bleachers. Within a moment, one turn of the head, Sawyer managed to get to the top and fall off the bleachers. His fall was about 6-7 feet off the ground, and he landed head and face first on a railroad tie. Bryan scooped him up first and ran into the men's restroom. I ran up later and decided that I did not care who was peeing in the restroom, they needed to just get out of my way because I was going into that restroom.
Bryan was cleaning him up and he had blood all over his shirt. We pinched his nose, and realized that his face was swelling and he had abrasions all over his face. Bryan got into the van, I got Sutton, and off we went to my brother's house. We wanted my brother and sister-in-law (EMT and Nurse) to get some reassurance that we were not over-the-top parents and that he really did need to go to the hospital. After their reassurance, we left Sutton with them and we headed to the hospital. I did not care if we got pulled over by police or not, but I was going to hold my baby all the way to the hospital. We made it there, and I jumped out of the van with Sawyer and Bryan went to park the van.
I walked into the emergency room with Sawyer cradled in my arms. The intake nurse took one look at me and asked me what his name was and what happened. I barely was able to get out Sawyer's name and that he fell about 7 feet from stadium bleachers. I was immediately sent through ER doors and was met with 4 doctors / nurses who took Sawyer from me, placed a neck brace on him, put him on a back board, and then wrapped him up like a mummy so that he could not move. I was traumatized - he was screaming and fighting and calling for us - and the specialists did not miss a beat. They had to put heart monitors, pulse monitors, draw blood, and put in an IV. Then we were sent for a CT scan. I can not even remember everything, but I think they stopped talking to me and began to speak only to Bryan because I was in shock.
Once they were pretty sure he was ok, we were left in the ER room with Sawyer and we were on both sides of him just talking to him and caressing him. It was at that point that I told Bryan that I had to sit down or I was going to throw up and pass out. I must have looked like hell, because he did not object. When they finally gave us the all clear sign, we were able to take him off the back board, remove the neck brace, remove the IV, and just hold him and rock him. They had a rocker there, and I just held him and rocked. Amazingly enough, Sawyer chose that moment to say his first 3 word sentence (previously he had one word utterances, and maybe two). Sawyer was rocking with me and he looked up with his pitiful face and said, "Momma, I owwwwwww". Bryan and I both just laughed.
We made it home that night, and Uncle Shawn was there with Sutton. He had put Sutton to bed in his own room and was waiting for us. We were so thankful. Shawn watched the baby while we got ready for bed. Then he placed Sawyer in my arms in bed and we both passed out until morning.
The story does have a happy ending. Less than a week later, Sawyer just has some yellow discoloration from fading bruises, a few abraisions, a sore nose that he loves to pick the scabs and make bleed. He is definitely a scab picker!!! I am not sure that he remembers this traumatic event - I will remember for the rest of my life! He is back to normal and has not learned his lesson. He is climbing everything in sight and seems unaffected.
Stay tuned for information about Baptism, T-Ball practice and a T-Ball game - all hopefully coming soon.